I’ve never really been a bodyweight workout kind of person. Walking, aerobics, (attempting to do) Zumba: these are more my speed. But since I have so little time to exercise these days, I needed to find a way to fit an intense workout into a short amount of time–thirty minutes or less.
My husband talked me into downloading an app called FitStar Personal Trainer, which he’d been following for a couple of weeks. After taking an initial fitness test and inputting the usual information like height, weight, age, and sex, the app personalizes workouts tailored to your fitness level. Each workout takes you through a cycle of exercises, and you tell the app how well you did on each one.
I was skeptical, mostly because I am not in shape. I’d always assumed that bodyweight workouts like these were only for people who were already in somewhat decent shape. I was also nervous about the $40 yearly subscription fee, because I didn’t want to pay for something I didn’t end up using.
But something had to give, because my old exercise habits just weren’t working with my schedule anymore. So I did the fitness test, did the free sample workout, and bit the bullet.
I. Love. It. Here are my top 10 results and revelations from only one week of bodyweight workouts.
1. The human body adapts quickly. Within minutes, sometimes.
2. I packed on three pounds, but my clothes also started fitting better.
3. My balance has improved.
4. My energy levels are up.
5. I can go from sitting to standing without having to use my hands to push off.
6. My back doesn’t hurt anymore.
7. My flexibility is increased.
8. I can lift heavier objects with less exertion.
9. My joints ache less.
10. I have finally accepted that taking five minutes to stretch really does make a difference. Gym teachers don’t just make that stuff up.
I can’t wait to see the results I get after a few months on this regimen!
For more information on the FitStar Personal Trainer app, visit their website.